5.22.2009

Gourmet Banana Cupcakes

I never really liked bananas....only when they're "in" something. This recipe is a Mama Bready special and one of my favorite ways to eat bananas. Mmmmmmm.



Gourmet Banana Cupcakes

Ingredients:
½ c. shortening
1 t. vanilla
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 ¼ c. flour
½ t. baking soda
½ t. salt
2 ½ t. baking powder
1 c. mashed ripe bananas, about 2 large
¼ c. buttermilk

Preparation:
Cream shortening and vanilla; add sugar gradually, beating until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift together the dry i
ingredients; add alternately with banana and milk to the creamed mixture, beating
after each addition. Fill greased and floured or paper-lined muffin cups about 2/3 full.
Bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until done. Cool and frost as desired. I
like chocolate frosting on them. Makes about 18 cupcakes.

Notes:
I sometimes put in a little more banana, and the results are still great. I use this
recipe when I want to use my extra ripe bananas, and don’t want banana bread.
Also, for the high altitude factor, I add an extra 2 T. of flour, and an extra ¼ cup
of buttermilk. This also makes a nice, light cake.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Butter Frosting

½ c. cream cheese
½ c. butter (real stuff if you have it)
½ c. cocoa
1 t. vanilla
3-4 c. powdered sugar

Beat the cream cheese, butter, cocoa, and vanilla together. Add the powdered sugar one
cup at a time until you get the right consistency. It is really, really yummy. After you get
done frosting your cupcakes, hide in the closet to lick the bowl.

0 comments: